Determine which dream location you can affordFirst of all, you should find out whether you can afford to take your writing on the road. The best way to do this is to make a budget.
- Determine how much money you earn every month
- Determine your method of transportation
- Consider lodging expenses
- Include food costs
- Purchase a travel insurance
- Determine your entertainment costs
You can also download such budget apps as GoodBudget, PocketGuard Budget App, and Budget Your Trip to keep your finances in check.
Give it a trial run
A lot of travel writers recommend starting small to see whether you manage to make a living writing from the road. It is not necessary to travel around the world for one month. Choose a nearby country and book a short stay to decide for yourself whether travel writing is your piece of cake. Just break your usual writing routine to have new experiences. All glory comes from daring to begin. In any case, you can always come back if something goes wrong. And the most important thing – do not listen to those people who may tell you that everything you do is a nonsense.
Create a comfortable workspace
Where exactly are you going to write? Your hotel room with a dreamy view or a nice little patio might be great ideas. Place where you write really matters a lot. So, try to make it as comfortable and cozy as possible. Don`t forget about tools that will help you write your best:
- Tape recorder
- Pens and paper
- Mouse and mousepad
- USB flash drive
It is really important to find your special spot. Museums, coffee shops, bars, and even trains are wonderful spaces in which you can get some serious work done as a successful travel writer.
View this new kind of writing experience as an adventure
You should always remember that any experience can be worthwhile. Writing on the road probably won`t turn out exactly how you imagine it. Of course, it may seem like every writer`s dream but let`s take a hard look at it. It is a little harder than you might first think. Not all days will be perfect and you should be ready for it. Just manage your expectations and be grateful for every moment.
Achieve the balance between work and leisure
It`s essential to guarantee yourself certain blocks of time to leisure. We are more than sure that you are always ready to sacrifice your leisure time and continue working on your interesting writing project. But it is a huge mistake to do so because after a while you may feel burnt out. You should enjoy yourself when you need to. Make it a habit to give yourself a one day off per week. This will learn you how to have balance. You should:
- Take control of your energy levels
- Spend your leisure time on truly enjoyable and relaxing activities
- Make sure you have enough leisure time to function
So, how about taking a break and visiting all the sites?
Don`t be afraid to go on your own
Don`t worry if you haven`t got anybody to travel with. Get out of your comfort zone and let new places, new people, and new experiences inspire your writing. Enjoy travelling and writing without someone else’s influence. Start putting yourself in situations that will let you meet new people from all over the world. And no, you don`t have to be a social butterfly! Just follow these simple rules:
- Give everyone a chance
- Party with the locals
- Meet people who love what you love
- Get over talking to strangers
- Use your social networks
Collecting memories is a great travel writing exercise. Travelling is something that can turn you into a good storyteller. Your book or blog will be able to make your travel memories last forever. It would be a great thing to write an evocative and captivating travel diary. Learn to record the thrills and spills of your adventures:
- Write whatever catches your imagination
- Use all your senses
- Illustrate your diary
- Describe the setting and your fellow travelers
- Reflect on the new experiences you had
Write high-quality content
- Take one fabulous idea. You should definitely have one if you want to start writing your dream book. Write about things you are passionate about.
- Build a blistering plot. Your unique story should force readers to keep turning pages.
- Add unforgettable characters. Make them interesting and introduce them in a proper way.
- Be as precise as possible. See the scene in your head before you can describe it clearly to your readers.
- Don`t forget about the elements of a good book – setting, major and minor characters, conflict, climax, and resolution.
- Don`t make your book boring. Enrich it with color and descriptive details.
- Set a daily word count goal. Do not write a lot. Write often.
- Discover your own writing voice. Inspire your readers just being yourself.
- Be happy with your book. Write, review, edit, and rewrite your chapters as many times as you want.
- Consider getting outside help. You can ask a professional editor to look over your manuscript and edit it properly. At custom writing services such as https://www.essaywanted.com/, you can get the high-quality writing assistance you really need.
To travel and write at the same time is one of the most challenging and rewarding things you can do in your life. So, would you agree with this statement?
About the author: Jennifer Pauli graduated from Corvinus School of Management and finished the faculty of Journalism at Corvinus University of Budapest. Currently, He is an editor, business writer, and copywriter, working with enough well-known companies, blogs, and personalities. Follow her on Twitter, G+ and read the personal blog